ASterile Processor position is vital in any medical organization. They are responsible for the following:
- Sterilizing medical equipment
- Ensuring they are safe for utilization
- Monitoring the activities at work
SPD in Anaheim, California, usually works in either:
- Birth centers
- Surgical centers
They can operate independently or in a group. They have a steady role that only requires a little work.
Sterilization and cleaning tools are only part of the job. A sterile process technician must also know how to repair and maintain equipment. Their job is to protect patients and doctors. They must adhere to all instructions and carry out their duties correctly. They should be cautious when disassembling and cleaning the equipment. Additionally, they must be aware of potential damage and inform a supervisor.
Becoming a Sterile Processing Technician
A person must receive the appropriate training to become one. This could be done through college or on-the-job training. Some states do not require this training but must provide the necessary certification.
- They will be taught about surgical instruments and how to sterilize them during sterile processor training.
- They will also receive a comprehensive overview of infection control best practices.
- After they have completed their training, they can get theCertified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST) credentialing exam.
- Although most programs take two years to complete, some accelerated sterile process programs can be completed within 42 weeks. Some schools offer classes in person, others online. The location may require the student to have a GED or high school diploma toqualify for the training.
- A sterile processing technician’s job can be full-time or part-time; it is a good choice for people looking for a career that can quickly adapt to their schedules. Larger hospitals will have shifts in the morning and evening, while smaller facilities may have a morning and evening schedule.This means that they will also have the opportunity to explore different parts of a hospital and work with experienced technicians.Sterile processing technicians typically spend their time in a laboratory or operating room.
The infographic below shows you more about the Sterile Process and Distribution Techniciancreated and developed by the well-known SPD in Fullerton, California, Martinson College.